Why take HG2051: Language and The Computer?
- Jobs: being able to program allows you to do many more things
Concretely, LMS python-enabled graduates work with google, in
start ups, as paid grad students in European Union projects, …
- Fun: being able to program allows you to do many more things
You can make weird lists (all four word phrases with first letter PING)
Pretty Intelligent Network Guru; Pink Indigo Neo Grass, …
- Wisdom: once you see how programming works you can judge what is
trivial/easy/hard/impossible, even if you don't then program it yourself.
- Fun: You can quickly make simple games (multilingual hang-man)
- Efficiency: You can save a lot of time!
Psycho-linguistic colleagues spent all weekend cutting and
pasting data (and made an error somewhere) a five-minute python
script did it correctly in one go
- Fun: You can quickly play with questions like: are there
different sounds (or a different distribution of letters) in reptile
names than mammal names?
Programming as an intellectual activity is the only art form that allows you to create interactive art. You can create projects that other people can play with, and you can talk to them indirectly. No other art form is quite this interactive. Movies flow to the audience in one direction. Paintings do not move. Code goes both ways. Zed A. Shaw Learn Python the Hard Way
HG2051: Language and the Computer Francis Bond.